Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

What if we do?

We all have them. Moments. Brief distractions throughout our life that either stop us in our tracks or detour us from our goals. I think it's natures way of keeping us going during the tough times. We may be feeling overwhelmed by life in general and then suddenly...an idea. A spark. The 'what-if's'.

In today's modern world of technology there is no excuse for any of us to fall short of reaching our goals and dreams. We literally have the world at our fingertips. Don't have a computer? Go to a library or a friends house. Don't have a car to get there...Uber. Or walk. You might reach two goals at once, getting a little exercise while you chase your dreams. This is an instant gratification world we've created and everyone wants what they want before they even know they want it. Something really, really good was lost when technology came along. We no longer work as hard for the things we want because a lot of the time, the internet does it for us. Our devices and gadgets leave little to the imagination. Patience is nonexistent. We've lost the personal touch. While there is an entire, exciting, entertaining and mind blowing world out there behind those screens, I feel like we're all losing site of what is on this side of that screen. We've become distracted. That's the key word here....in this abyss of technology we've gotten lost in, distraction. Let's get back to some of the basics here, people. Live. Laugh. Love. Learn.  Use your computer, your laptop, your tablet, your smart devices. I know people rely on computers for their jobs, and phones too. What is going to happen if you put them down...briefly, or commit to spending an equal amount of time not using them? Don't forget where you came from. Dial it back just a little, folks.

I've had a lot of ideas in my 42 years. I'd say I've acted on maybe 15% of them. Honestly. The over thinker in me conquered the other 85% and I talked myself right out of those babies! I'm human. I worry. And my worry is my number one enemy. I worry about failing. I worry about wasting time and resources. I worry about being judged. I worry that it's too late. I worry that I am incapable, being ridiculous or just plain dreaming. I worry that I'm not good enough, smart enough, or strong enough. Worry is a mother load of waste, let me tell you. Your average religious pal might tell you it's the devil. I can't really argue that. Worry does pretty evil things to a person. A realist might tell you that worry is a weakness in your own mind and controls you by your own fault. My grandmother would tell you worrying is pointless, for the birds. But I've never met anyone that said worry was good.  So I'm here to tell you....well, they're all right. So stop worrying. Open your mind and start fighting the urge to give up on your ideas. Stop making excuses. Be stronger than that devil or that weakness in your mind. Maybe worry isn't your number one enemy. Maybe it's fear. Maybe it's lack of confidence. Maybe it's doubt. Maybe it's money. Maybe it's you. Whatever it is, figure it out and start making some changes. This world, this life, it needs you at your best. What if you chose to stop listening to that guilt monster and you find that you've been missing out on a world of happiness? You'll be the first to benefit from these changes but it will spread like high school rumors and infect everyone around you.

Sometimes, when I come up with what I think is a genius idea I immediately fold on the idea because I feel like there's no way I can achieve it. I don't have the time, the money, the resources or the knowledge to bring it to fruition. And then I start talking myself right out of it until I get all the way back to where I started. But what if? We are all creatures of habit. It's infinitely easier to get stuck in a rut, making the same bad, unaccomplished decisions than it is to put in a little work, do things a little differently and step outside of our comfort zone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Y'all, it's broke. It's unrecognizable. It's ridiculously unacceptable. We have to fix it!! Are you dreaming about being rich, winning the lottery, maybe? Well that is unrealistic. Yes, it happens.  But the odds of you growing a 3rd arm or learning a foreign language in your sleep are probably more likely to happen. Seriously. Get your head out of... the clouds!! Stop waiting for happiness to come to you. Stop waiting for someone or something in your life to change your current situation. It's really not that complicated. Stop doing the same stupid things (or nothing at all) and DO something different. To put it simply...wake up. You will die one day. At your funeral, what will people be saying about you and the life you lived? "She had so many great ideas....she could've been something...she tried so hard...that poor thing". That's what I imagine the flies would hear at my wake if I died today. And more importantly, the legacy I'll leave for my children and grand children. What if the changes I make today are so significant that my children actually learn exactly what I'm trying to teach them? I decided that I'm going to put my OCD, my ADD, my outstanding note taking skills, my go-getter, tougher-than-nails attitude, my perseverance and my no tolerance meter to the test.  I'm going to set some new goals. I'm going to take a new approach. And I'm going to not only organize my life in a way that is conducive to a brighter future but I'm going to continue to teach and show my kids that you can do anything you put your mind to. I'm putting my mind to making my world a better place, starting with me. I'm going to smile more. I'm going to give others more of my time. I'm going to spend a lot less time on my devices.  I'm going to stop feeding into all the media's influence and do my own research. I'm not going to let someone else's negative attitude or opinion sway me. I'm going to strive to be the light in the lives of those around me. I'm going to budget better and get more done around my house. I'm going to have more fun. (That's an understatement, right there). I'm going to live, love, laugh, and learn like nobody's business!!

It's so easy to get overwhelmed.  It doesn't matter if you are 4 years old or 40 years old.  What matters is how you deal with it. When you have those moments, those ideas, those sparks....run with them!! Don't let doubt or fear hold you back. GO! Live! Make your mark. No matter how extravagant you think your idea is, how unreachable your goal, how irrelevant your thoughts....hold on to them. Talk about them. Build on them. Grow them. Like little, tiny, newborn, baby ideas. They will only thrive if you protect them and fight for them, nurture them and guide them. Grow your babies, people.

Once a month I'm going to sit down and organize my thoughts, goals and accomplishments. I'm going to force my family to sit down with me because my happiness, in part, depends on them....and I suppose theirs depends on me as well. Yeah. A joint venture. They don't know about this yet... but they're gonna LOVE it!! Ha! Maybe we'll made a video blog and share it with the univerrrr.....wait. Less time on our devices. No video blog. I'm going to prove, mostly to myself, but also to my kids that you can live a better life outside of the trap that is technology. I'm not going to allow days or months to go by while I'm stuck in the monotony of life. I'm going to make a difference, every single day. I hope I've motivated you enough to want to do the same. The world needs us. Be happy. Love hard and without regrets. Live your life each day by making it count and doing more. Allow yourself to laugh, often. Forgive, no matter how difficult. Never stop believing that you can learn something new. Change is inevitable so this world will continue to change, with or without you. You will change too. But how you change is up to you. Be better. Live better. Love better. You owe it to yourself and to this life.  You can't restart your life. You can't get more lives. You can't rewind or fast forward. So get up, get out, get on with it. Why would you want to chose to be anything but happy? Grow your babies. You'll be glad you did.




No comments:

Post a Comment